Faculty & School/Dept.
Faculty of Health - Department of Psychology
Ph.D. - 1992
Dr. Mongrain obtained her Ph.D. in clinical psychology from McGill University, and has pursued her research interests in personality vulnerability to depression since her arrival at York in 1993. She has integrated positive psychology interventions and compassion training as resilience boosting strategies for subjective well-being.
1. Mongrain, M. (2014). Compassion, happiness and self-esteem. In Michalos, A. C. (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research. Springer, Dordrecht, Netherlands: pp 1129-1133.
2. Mongrain, M. (2010). Dependency. In I. Weiner & E. Craighead (Eds.). Corsini’s Encyclopedia of Psychology, 4th Edition. John Wiley and Sons.
3. Zuroff, D. C., Santor, D. A., & Mongrain, M. (2005). Dependency, self-criticism, and maladjustment. In J. S. Auerbach, K. J. Levy, and C. E. Schaffer (Eds.), Relatedness, self-definition and mental representation: Essays in honor of Sidney J. Blatt. Brunner-Routledge: London.
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES (selected):
1. Armstrong, B. F., Zuroff, D., C., & Mongrain, M. (2016, June). Self-Compassion Re-Visited: Psychometric Validation of the Self-Compassion Scale. PLOS ONE.
2. Azam, M.A., Mongrain, M., Vora, K. Pirbaglou, M., Azargive, S., Changoor, T., Wayne, N., Guglietti, C., Macpherson, A., Irvine, J., Rotondi, M., Smith, D., Perez, D., & Ritvo, P. (2016, June). Mindfulness as an alternative for supporting university student mental health: A study of cognitive-emotional and depressive self-criticism measures. International Journal of Educational Psychology.
3. Mongrain, M., Komeylian, Z., & Barnhart B. (2015, November). Happiness Versus Mindfulness Exercises for Individuals Vulnerable to Depression. The Journal of Positive Psychology. doi=10.1080/17439760.2015.1092569
4. Sergeant, S., & Mongrain, M. (2015, August). Online Positive Psychology Exercises: Distressed Users Are More Likely to Benefit than Non-distressed Users. Canadian Journal of Psychology, 56, 322-331.
5. Sergeant, S., & Mongrain, M. (January 2014). An Online Optimism Intervention Reduces Depression in Pessimistic Individuals. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. doi: 10.1037/a0035536
6. Ritvo, P., Vora, K., Irvine, J., Mongrain, M., Azargive, S., Azam, M. A., Pirboglou, M., Guglietti, C., Wayne, N., Cribbie, R., & Perez, D. (October 2013). Reductions in negative automatic thoughts in students attending mindfulness tutorials predicts increased life satisfaction. International Journal of Educational Psychology, 2(3), doi: 10.4471/ijep.2013.28
7. Young, R., Struthers, C.W., Khoury, C., Muscat, S., Phills, C., & Mongrain, M. (2013). Forgiveness and revenge: The conflicting needs of dependents and self-critics in relationships. Journal of Clinical and Social Psychology, 32(10), 1099-1119.
8. Kopala-Sibley, D.C., Mongrain, M., & Zuroff, D. C. (August 2013). A lifespan perspective on Dependency and Self-Criticsm: Age trends from 18 to 59. Journal of Adult Development, 20(1), DOI 10.1007/s10804-013-9163-9.
9. Mongrain, M., & Anselmo- Matthews, T. (March 2012). Do positive psychology exercises work? A replication of Seligman et al. (2005). Journal of Clinical Psychology, 68(4), 382-389.
Other Research Outputs
Sergeant, S., & Mongrain, M. (July 2011). Are positive psychology exercises helpful for people with depressive personality styles? Journal of Positive Psychology, 6, 260-272.
Mongrain, M., Chin, J., & Shapira, L. B. (Dec. 2010). Practicing compassion increases happiness and self-esteem. Journal of Happiness Studies, 12, 963-981.
Shapira, L. B., & Mongrain M. (Sept. 2010). The benefits of self-compassion and optimism exercises for individuals vulnerable to depression. Journal of Positive Psychology, 5, 377-389.
Schulte, F. S., Mongrain, M., & Flora, D. B. (Sept. 2008). Healthy and unhealthy dependence: Implications for Major Depression. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 47, 341-353.
Sturman, E. D., & Mongrain, M. (July 2008). Entrapment and perceived status in graduate students experiencing a recurrence of Major Depression. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, 40, 185-188.
Sturman, E. D., & Mongrain, M. (Feb. 2008). The role of personality in defeat: A revised social rank model. European Journal of Personality, 22, 55-79.
Amitay, O., Mongrain, M., & Fazaa, N. (Jan. 2008). Effects of parental self-criticism on daughters' personality and choice of romantic partner. Personality and Individual Differences, 44, 75-85.
Mongrain, M., & Trambakoulos, J. (Oct. 2007). A musical mood induction alleviates dysfunctional attitudes in needy and self-critical individuals. Cognitive Psychotherapy: An International Quarterly, 21 (4), 293-307.
Amitay, O. A., & Mongrain, M. (Aug. 2007). From emotional intelligence to intelligent choices of partners. Journal of Social Psychology 147(4), 325–343.
Sturman, E., & Mongrain, M. (2006). Attributional style as a predictor of hopelessness depression. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy: An International Quarterly, 20 (4), 447-458.
Mongrain, M., & Leather, F. (2006). Self-criticism and dependence predict the recurrence of major depression. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 62 (June), 705-713.
Mongrain, M., & Blackburn, S. (2005). Cognitive vulnerability and lifetime risk for major depression in graduate students. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 29 (December), 747-768.
Sturman, E., & Mongrain, M. (2005). Self-Criticism and Major Depression: An evolutionary framework. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 44, 505-519.
Mongrain, M., Lubbers, R., & Struthers, W. (2004). The power of love: Mediation of rejection in roommate relationships of dependents and self-critics. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 30, 94-105.
Heisel, M. J., & Mongrain, M. (2004). Facial expressions and ambivalence: Looking for conflict in all the right faces. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior, 28, 35-52.
Zuroff, D. C., Mongrain, M., & Santor, D. C. (2004). Conceptualizing and measuring personality vulnerability to depression: Revisiting issues raised by Coyne and Whiffen (1995). Psychological Bulletin, 130, 489-511.
Zuroff, D. C., Mongrain, M., & Santor, D. C. (2004). Investing in the personality vulnerability research program: Current dividends and future growth. Psychological Bulletin, 130, 512-517.
Mongrain, M., & Vettese, L. C. (2003). Conflict over emotional expression: Implications for interpersonal communication and depression. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29, 545-555.
Vettese, L. C., & Mongrain, M. (2000). Communication about the self and partner in the relationships of dependents and self-critics. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 24, 609-626.
Mongrain, M. (1998). Parental representations and support-seeking behaviors related to Dependency and Self-Criticism. Journal of Personality, 66, 151-173.
Mongrain, M., Vettese, L. C., Shuster, B., & Kendal, N. (1998). Perceptual biases, affect, and behavior in the relationships of dependents and self-critics. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 75, 230-241.
American Psychological Association (APA); Association for Psychological Science (APS); Canadian Psychological Associatio
Dean's Award- Outstanding Teaching - 2009
Faculty Scholar Award McGill University - 1985
Scholar Award- Research Fellowship York University - 1998
Currently available to supervise graduate students: No
Currently taking on work-study students, Graduate Assistants or Volunteers: No
Available to supervise undergraduate thesis projects: No
Examining positive psychology interventions in large community samples with a special focus on the study of compassion. More specifically, Dr. Mongrain wishes to elucidate the antecedents, obstacles, and facilative conditions for compassionate responding.
Investigation of brief online positive psychology interventions in a large Canadian sample.
Role: Principal Investigator
Funded by: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council
Curriculum Vitae (C.V. file):
CV of Myriam Mongrain