Locations / Contact Info:
359 Norman Bethune College - BCKeele CampusPhone (Office): 416 736 2100 Ext. 33338
Faculty & School/Dept.
Faculty of Health - School of Kinesiology & Health Science
PhD - 1998
Bachelor of Science - 1988
American University of Beirut
Masters in Public Health - 1992
- Kim TH, Rotondi M, Connolly J, Tamim H. Characteristics of social support among teenage, optimal age, and advanced age women in Canada: An analysis of the National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth. Matern Child Health J. 2017 Jan 19. doi: 10.1007/s10995-016-2249-9.
A, Costanian C, Sayed M, Tamim H. Factors associated with difficulty accessing health care for infants in Canada: mothers’ reports from the cross-sectional Maternity Experiences Survey. BMC Pediatrics BMC series –201616:192, DOI: 10.1186/s12887-016-0733-4
- Costanian C, Macpherson A, Tamim H. Inadequate prenatal care use and breastfeeding practices in Canada: A national survey of women. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2016 May 5;16(1):100. doi: 10.1186/s12884-016-0889-9.
- Clemens T, Tamim H, Rotondi M, Macpherson AK. A population based study of drowning in Canada. BMC Public Health. 2016 Jul 13;16:559. doi: 10.1186/s12889-016-3221-8.
- Smarandache A, Kim T, Bohr Y, Tamim H. Predictors of a negative labour and birth experience based on a national survey of Canadian women. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2016 May 18;16(1):114. doi: 10.1186/s12884-016-0903-2.
- Kim T, Tamim H, Johnson J, & Pascual-Leone J. The Mental-Attention Tai Chi Effect with Older Adults. BMC Psychology 2016 May 31;4(1):29. doi: 10.1186/s40359-016-0137-0.
- Renoux C, Dell'Aniello S, Khairy P, Marras C, Bugden S, Chowdhury T, Blais L, Tamim H, Evans C, Steele R, Dormuth C, Ernst P. Ventricular tachyarrhythmia and sudden cardiac death with domperidone use in Parkinson’s Disease. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2016 Apr 7. doi: 10.1111/bcp.12964.
- Debessai Y, Costanian C, Roy M, El Sayed M, Tamim H. Inadequate prenatal care use among Canadian mothers: Findings from the Maternity Experiences Survey (MES). Journal of Perinatology, 2016 Jan 21. doi: 10.1038/jp.2015.218.
- Sekharan VS, Kim T, Oulman E, Tamim H. Prevalence and characteristics of intended adolescent pregnancy: An analysis of the Canadian Maternity Experiences Survey. Reprod Health. 2015 Nov 5;12:101. doi: 10.1186/s12978-015-0093-9.
- Oulman E, Kim TH, Yunis K, Tamim H. Prevalence and predictors of unintended pregnancy among women: an analysis of the Canadian Maternity Experiences Survey. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015 Oct 13;15(1):260. doi: 10.1186/s12884-015-0663-4. PubMed PMID: 26462914; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4604620.
- Renoux C, Lix LM, Patenaude V, Bresee LC, Paterson JM, Lafrance JP, Tamim H, Mahmud SM, Alsabbagh W, Hemmelgarn B, Dormuth C, Ernst P, and the CNODES investigators. Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors and the Risk of AKI: A Cohort Study of Eight Administrative Databases and Meta-Analysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015 Oct 7;10(10):1716-22. PubMed PMID: 26231193.
- Castel ES, Ginsburg LR, Zaheer S, Tamim H. Understanding nurses' and physicians' fear of repercussions for reporting errors: clinician characteristics, organization demographics, or leadership factors? BMC Health Serv Res. 2015 Aug 14;15:326. PubMed PMID: 26272228; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4542128.
- Manson JD, Tamim H, Baker J. Barriers and Promoters for Enrollment to a Community-Based Tai Chi Program for Older, Low-Income, and Ethnically Diverse Adults. J Appl Gerontol. 2015 Jul 29;PubMed PMID: 26224598.
- Shah S, Ardern C, Tamim H. Predictors of adherence in a community-based tai chi program. Can J Aging. 2015 Jun;34(2):237-46. PubMed PMID: 25917603.
- Dogra S, Shah S, Patel M, Tamim H. Effectiveness of a Tai Chi intervention for improving functional fitness and general health among ethnically diverse older adults with self-reported arthritis living in low-income neighborhoods: a cohort study. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2015 Apr-Jun;38(2):71-7. PubMed PMID: 24762392.
- Dogra S, Al-Sahab B, Manson J, Tamim H. Aging expectations are associated with physical activity and health among older adults of low socioeconomic status. J Aging Phys Act. 2015 Apr;23(2):180-6. PubMed PMID: 24700305.
- Costanian C, Tamim H, Assaad S. Prevalence and factors associated with irritable bowel syndrome among university students in Lebanon: findings from a cross-sectional study. World J Gastroenterol. 2015 Mar 28;21(12):3628-35. PubMed PMID: 25834330; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4375587.
- Leddin D, Tamim H, Levy AR. Decreasing incidence of inflammatory bowel disease in eastern Canada: a population database study. BMC Gastroenterol. 2014 Aug 9;14:140. PubMed PMID: 25108544; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4134124.
- Islam F, Khanlou N, Tamim H. South Asian populations in Canada: migration and mental health. BMC Psychiatry. 2014 May 26;14:154. PubMed PMID: 24884792; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4052282.
- Kim TH, Connolly JA, Tamim H. The effect of social support around pregnancy on postpartum depression among Canadian teen mothers and adult mothers in the maternity experiences survey. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014 May 7;14:162. PubMed PMID: 24884410; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4018615.
- Kim TH, Eke Dogra S, Al-Sahab B, Tamim H. Comparison of functional fitness outcomes in experienced and inexperienced older adults after 16-week tai chi program. Altern Ther Health Med. 2014 May-Jun;20(3):20-5. PubMed PMID: 24755567.
- Filion KB, Chateau D, Targownik LE, Gershon A, Durand M, Tamim H, Teare GF, Ravani P, Ernst P, Dormuth CR, CNODES Investigators. Proton pump inhibitors and the risk of hospitalisation for community-acquired pneumonia: replicated cohort studies with meta-analysis. Gut. 2014 Apr;63(4):552-8. PubMed PMID: 23856153; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3963530.
- Sears J, Khan K, Ardern CI, Tamim H. Potential for patient-physician language discordance in Ontario. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013 Dec 28;13:535. PubMed PMID: 24373325; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3909311.
- Leddin D, Tamim H, Levy AR. Is folate involved in the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease?. Med Hypotheses. 2013 Nov;81(5):940-1. PubMed PMID: 24045091.
- Manson J, Rotondi M, Jamnik V, Ardern C, Tamim H*#. Effect of tai chi on musculoskeletal health-related fitness and self-reported physical health changes in low income, multiple ethnicity mid to older adults. BMC Geriatr. 2013 Oct 28;13:114. PubMed PMID: 24160867; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3870959.
- Manson J, Ritvo P, Ardern C, Weir P, Baker J, Jamnik V, Tamim H. Tai Chi's effects on health-related fitness of low-income older adults. Can J Aging. 2013 Sep;32(3):270-7. PubMed PMID: 23915817.
- Walker MJ, Davis C, Al-Sahab B, Tamim H. Reported maternal postpartum depression and risk of childhood psychopathology. Matern Child Health J. 2013 Jul;17(5):907-17. PubMed PMID: 22744292.
- Rzeznikiewiz D, Tamim H, Macpherson AK. Risk of death in crashes on Ontario's highways. BMC Public Health. 2012 Dec 28;12:1125. PubMed PMID: 23273001; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3543722.
- Kowal C, Kuk J, Tamim H. Characteristics of weight gain in pregnancy among Canadian women. Matern Child Health J. 2012 Apr;16(3):668-76. PubMed PMID: 21431862.
- Al-Sahab B, Ardern CI, Hamadeh MJ, Tamim H. Age at menarche and current substance use among Canadian adolescent girls: results of a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2012 Mar 16;12:195. PubMed PMID: 22424106; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3323411.
- Al-Sahab B, Heifetz M, Tamim H, Bohr Y, Connolly J. Prevalence and characteristics of teen motherhood in Canada. Matern Child Health J. 2012 Jan;16(1):228-34. PubMed PMID: 21298506.
Other Research Outputs
Tamim H, Tuffhah M, Yunis K. Chapter 2: Surveillance and systematic collection of data for perinatal and neonatal mortality. Neonatal and Perinatal Mortality: Global Challenges, Risk Factors and Interventions. Neonatla and Perinatal Mortality- Global challenges, risk factors and interventions. Editors: Ur Rahman S, Eanon JD, Haque K. Nova Science Publishers, Inc, 2017 (accepted).
Islam F, Khanlou N & Tamim H. Exploring women’s mental health at the intersections of aging, racialization and low socioeconomic status. In: Khanlou N & Pilkington FB. (Editors). Women’s mental health: Resistance and resilience in community and society. Advances in Mental Health and Addiction (Series editor: Masood Zanganeh). New York: Springer, 2015.
Tamim H, Al-Sahab B, Connolly J. Teen motherhood in Canada. Encyclopedia of Quality of Life Research, Springer, Oct 2012
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology
Faculty of Medicine
LaMarsh Centre for Child and Youth Research
Member of Promoting Relationships and Eliminating Violence Network
National Collaborative Neonatal Perinatal Network (NCPNN)
York University Centre for Aging Research and Education
YUFA Faculty of Health merit award, York University - 2007
COMSTECH- Listed (based on the Web of Science data bases, Institution of Scientific Information (ISI) as one of the 93 Leading Scientists in the area of “Medical Sciences” in the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) countries (57 OIC member states) - 2007
Currently available to supervise graduate students: Yes
Currently taking on work-study students, Graduate Assistants or Volunteers: Not Indicated
Available to supervise undergraduate thesis projects: Not Indicated
Dr. Tamim main research interests are in the areas of maternal and child health, evaluation of trauma care, and adolescent health risk behaviours. As an epidemiologist, she has worked in several other research areas including molecular epidemiology of infectious diseases, diabetes and pharmacoepidemiology. In the area of maternal and child health, her research has covered a variety of topics including c-section, Group B strep, consanguinity and congenital abnormalities, breastfeeding, pre–conceptional folic acid intake, predictors of social support and parenting among teen and advanced aged mothers among others. The focus in the area of adolescent health risk behavior has been mostly on smoking, weight control measures, and predictors and outcomes of early menarche. Dr. Tamim recently completed a study that assessed the effects of Tai Chi on musculoskeletal fitness and psychological wellbeing among older adults. Currently, funded by the Doha International Family Institute (DIFI) and the Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) Dr. Tamim with colleagues are studying the Lebanese family’s structure, characteristics and demands and resources of support.
Curriculum Vitae (C.V. file):
CV of Hala Tamim