Adeline R Falk Rafael
Locations / Contact Info:
341 Health, Nursing & Environmental Studies - HNESKeele CampusPhone: 416 736 2100 Ext. 33596
Faculty & School/Dept.
Faculty of Health - School of Nursing
BScN - 1989
University of Western Ontario
MSN - 1993
PhD - 1997
University of Colorado
1. Falk-Rafael AR, Betker C. Witnessing Social Injustice Downstream and Advocating for Health Equity Upstream: "The Trombone Slide" of Nursing. ANS 9000;Publish Ahead of Print.
2. Bradley, P. and Falk-Rafael, A. R. Instrumental care and human-centred caring: Rhetoric versus lived reality. Advances in Nursing Science 2011;34:297-314.
3. Falk-Rafael, A. R. Globalization and global health: Toward nursing praxis in the global community. Advances in Nursing Science 2006;29:2-14.
4. Falk-Rafael, A. R., Fox, J., and Bewick, D. Health care reforms in Ontario, Canada: Moving toward or away from Primary Health Care? Report of a 1999 survey of public health nurses. Primary Health Care Research and Development 2005;6:172-183.
5. Falk-Rafael, A. R. Advancing nursing theory through theory-guided practice: The emergence of a critical caring perspective. Advances in Nursing Science 2005;28:38-49.
6. Falk-Rafael, A. R. Speaking truth to power: Nursing's legacy and moral imperative. Advances in Nursing Science 2005;28:212-223.
7. Falk-Rafael, A. R., Chinn, P. L., Anderson, M. A., Laschinger, H., and Rubotzky, A. The effectiveness of feminist pedagogy in empowering a community of learners. Journal of Nursing Education 2004;43:107-115.
8. Falk-Rafael AR, Anderson MA, Chinn PL, Rubotzky A. Peace and power as a critical feminist framework for nursing education. In: Oermann M, Heinrich K, eds. Annual Review of Nursing Education. V 2 ed. New York: Springer; 2004;217-235.
9. Falk-Rafael, A. R. Empowerment as a process of evolving consciousness: A model of empowered caring. Advances in Nursing Science 2001;24:1-16.
10. Rafael, A. R. F. Watson's philosophy, science, and theory of human caring as a conceptual framework for guiding community health nursing practice. Advances in Nursing Science 2000;23:34-49.
American Academy of Nursing
Registered Nurses Association of Ontario
College of Nurses of Ontario
Canadian Nurses Association
Community Health Nurses Initiatives Group
Community Health Nurses of Canada
RNAO Honorary Life Membership - 2011
Currently available to supervise graduate students: Yes
Currently taking on work-study students, Graduate Assistants or Volunteers: No
Available to supervise undergraduate thesis projects: No
Dr. Falk-Rafael's work focuses on development of critical caring theory. This mid-range theory of public health nursing builds on her previous research exploring power and powerlessness in public health nursing practice. Specifically, critical caring has evolved from previous research which conceptualized empowered caring and previous scholarship explicating Dr. Jean Watson's caring science as a conceptual framework for guiding public health nursing.