Locations / Contact Info:
344 Norman Bethune College - BCKeele Campus Ext. 30038
Faculty & School/Dept.
Faculty of Health - School of Kinesiology & Health Science
PhD - 2011
MSc - 2006
University of Toronto
B. Kin. Hons - 2004
- Chouinard-Watkins R, Calleja M, Bazinet RP, Josse AR. Dairy product consumption is associated with a lowering of linoleic acid within serum triglycerides in adolescent females with overweight or obesity: a secondary analysis. Br J Nutr. 2021 May 24:1-30.
- Skelly LE, Barbour-Tuck EN, Kurgan N, Calleja M, Klentrou P, Falk B, Josse AR. Neutral effect of increased dairy product intake, as part of a lifestyle modification program, on cardiometabolic health in adolescent girls with overweight/obesity: a secondary analysis from a randomized controlled trial. Frontiers in Nutrition. April 2021. (In press).
- Olansky S, Beaudry KM, Woods S, Barbour-Tuck E, Gammage K, Klentrou P, Josse AR. Changes in Body Composition, Energy Expenditure, and Energy Intake during Four Years of University—A Follow-Up Study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021 Apr 10;18(8):3990.
- Kurgan N, McKee K, Calleja M, Josse AR, Klentrou P. Cytokines, Adipokines and Bone Markers at Rest and in Response to Plyometric Exercise in Obese vs Normal Weight Adolescent Females. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2020 Dec 11;11:531926.
- Bridge A, Brown J, Snider H, Rowan S, Skelly LE, Josse AR. Comparison of Body Composition Assessment Using Air-Displacement Plethysmography and A-Mode Ultrasound Before and After a 12-Week Exercise Intervention in Normal Weight Adult Males. Accepted Oct 23, 2020. In Press. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci. DOI: 10.1080/1091367X.2020.1843042.
- McKinlay BJ, Theocharidis A, Adebero T, Kurgan N, Fajardo VA, Roy BD, Josse AR, M Logan-Sprenger H, Falk B, Klentrou P. Effects of Post-Exercise Whey Protein Consumption on Recovery Indices in Adolescent Swimmers. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020 Oct 23;17(21):E7761.
- Calleja M, Caetano Feitoza N, Falk B, Klentrou P, Ward WE, Sullivan PJ, Josse AR. Increased dairy product consumption as part of a diet and exercise weight management program improves body composition in adolescent females with overweight and obesity – A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatr Obes. 2020 Jun 29:e12690.
- Theocharidis A, McKinlay BJ, Vlachopoulos D, Josse AR, Falk B, Klentrou P. Effects of post exercise protein supplementation on markers of bone turnover in adolescent swimmers. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2020 Apr 15;17(1):20.
- Josse AR, Ludwa IA, Kouvelioti R, Calleja M, Falk B, Ward W, Klentrou P. Dairy product intake decreases bone resorption following a 12-week diet and exercise intervention in overweight and obese adolescent girls. Pediatr Res. 2020 Dec;88(6):910-916.
- Bridge A, Brown J, Snider H, Ward WE, Roy B, Josse AR. Consumption of Greek Yogurt During 12 Weeks of High-impact, Loading Exercise Increases Bone Formation in Young, Adult Males – A Secondary Analysis from a Randomized Trial. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2020 Jan;45(1):91-100.
- Kouvelioti R, Kurgan N, Falk B, Ward WE, Josse AR, Klentrou P. Cytokine and Sclerostin Response to High-Intensity Interval Running versus Cycling. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2019 Dec;51(12):2458-2464
- Adebero T, McKinlay BJ, Theocharidis A, Root Z, Josse AR, Klentrou P, Falk B. Salivary and Serum Concentrations of Cortisol and Testosterone at Rest and in Response to Intense Exercise in Boys and Men. Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2019 Nov 25:1-8.
- Beaudry KM, Ludwa IA, Thomas AM, Ward WE, Falk B, Josse AR. First-year university is associated with greater body weight, body composition and adverse dietary changes in males than females. PLoS One. 2019 Jul 3;14(7):e0218554.
- Kouvelioti R, Kurgan N, Falk B, Ward WE, Josse AR, Klentrou P. Cytokine and Sclerostin Response to High-Intensity Interval Running versus Cycling. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2019 Jun 25.
- Thomas AM, Beaudry KM, Gammage KL, Klentrou P, Josse AR. Physical Activity, Sport Participation, and Perceived Barriers to Engagement in First-Year Canadian University Students. J Phys Act Health. 2019 Jun 1;16(6):437-446.
- Bridge A, Brown J, Snider H, Nasato M, Ward WE, Roy BD, Josse AR. Greek Yogurt and 12 Weeks of Exercise Training on Strength, Muscle Thickness and Body Composition in Lean, Untrained, University-Aged Males. Front Nutr. 2019 Apr 30;6:55.
- Kouvelioti R, LeBlanc P, Falk B, Ward WE, Josse AR, Klentrou P. Effects of High-Intensity Interval Running Versus Cycling on Sclerostin, and Markers of Bone Turnover and Oxidative Stress in Young Men. Calcif Tissue Int. 2019 Jun;104(6):582-590.
- Kouvelioti R, Kurgan N, Falk B, Ward WE, Josse AR, Klentrou P. Biomed Response of Sclerostin and Bone Turnover Markers to High Intensity Interval Exercise in Young Women: Does Impact Matter? Res Int. 2018 Nov 1;2018:4864952.
- Allison DJ, Beaudry KM, Thomas AM, Josse AR, Ditor DS. Changes in nutrient intake and inflammation following an anti-inflammatory diet in spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med. 2018 Oct 2:1-10.
- Timmons JA, Atherton PJ, Larsson O, Sood S, Blokhin IO, Brogan RJ, Volmar C, Josse AR, Slenzt C, Wahlestedt CR, Phillips SM, Phillips BE, Gallagher IJ, Kraus WE. A coding and non-coding transcriptomic perspective on the genomics of human metabolic disease. Nucleic Acids Res. 2018 Jul 9. doi: 10.1093/nar/gky570.
- Kouvelioti R, Josse AR, Klentrou P. The effects of dairy consumption on body composition and bone properties in youth: a systematic review Kouvelioti, R., Josse, A. & Klentrou, P. Effects of dairy consumption on body composition and bone properties in youth: a systematic review Curr Dev Nutr 2017;1:e001214.
- Dekker J, Nelson K, Kurgan N, Falk B, Josse AR, Klentrou P. Wnt Signaling-related Osteokines and Transforming Growth Factors Before and After a Single Bout of Plyometric Exercise in Child and Adolescent Females. Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2017 Nov 1;29(4):504-512.
- Allison DJ, Gabriel DA, Klentrou P, Josse AR, Ditor DS. The influence of chronic inflammation on peripheral motor nerve conduction following spinal cord injury: A randomized clinical trial. Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2017 Fall;23(4):377-385
- Allison DJ, Josse AR, Gabriel DA, Klentrou P, Ditor DS. Targeting inflammation to influence cognitive function following spinal cord injury: a randomized clinical trial. Spinal Cord. 2017 Jan;55(1):26-32.
Other Research Outputs
Recent Media Coverage of Research:
Sept 2019 - Toronto Star Online Article - The ‘Freshman 15’ is way worse for men, study says. Available at: https://www.thestar.com/life/2019/09/02/the-freshman-15-is-way-worse-for-men-study-says.html
July 2019 - York University Online News - Y-File. Canadian men gain twice as much weight as women in 1st year university, study says. Available at: http://yfile.news.yorku.ca/2019/07/05/canadian-men-gain-twice-as-much-weight-as-women-in-1st-year-university-study-says/?utm_source=YFile_Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=York-in-the-Media&utm_campaign=yfile
July 2019 - Brock University Online News Article - During first year of university, poor diet and weight gain greater in male students. Available at: https://brocku.ca/brock-news/2019/07/during-first-year-of-university-poor-diet-and-weight-gain-greater-in-male-students/
July 2019 - The London Telegraph (UK) Online Article - Average male students put on twice as much weight as females in their first year of university. Available at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/03/average-male-students-put-twice-much-weight-females-first-year/
July 2019 - CBS.com (Baltimore) Article – Men Gain Twice As Much Weight As Women During Freshman Year, Study Finds. Available at: https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/07/03/freshman-15-weight-college-study-finds/
July 2019 - HealthDay.com (NYC) Article - Looks Like Guys Are More Prone to Pack on the 'Freshman 15'. Available at: https://consumer.healthday.com/kids-health-information-23/adolescents-and-teen-health-news-719/looks-like-guys-are-more-prone-to-pack-on-the-freshman-15-748049.html
July 2019 - CBC.com News Article - Canadian men gain twice as much weight as women in 1st year university, study says. Available at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/weight-gain-university-students-freshman-15-study-1.5196991
July 2019 - CNN.com News Article: Men gain twice as much weight as women during freshman year, study finds. Available at: https://us.cnn.com/2019/07/03/health/freshman-15-college-study-trnd/index.html
June 2019 - Brock University Online News Article – Abundance of interesting research among grad students at Convocation. Available at: https://brocku.ca/brock-news/2019/06/abundance-of-interesting-research-among-grad-students-at-convocation/
Adjunct professor; Department of Kinesiology,
Researcher; Centre for Bone and Muscle Health
Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michael's Hospital
Researcher; Muscle Health Research Centre
Currently available to supervise graduate students: Yes
Currently taking on work-study students, Graduate Assistants or Volunteers: No
Available to supervise undergraduate thesis projects: No
Dr. Josse joined York University in January 2019 from Brock University where she has been an assistant professor since 2014. Her research area combines clinical nutrition and exercise physiology in the context of both health and chronic disease, and centres on lifestyle modification strategies and/or training regimens that manipulate diet and exercise to achieve a healthier body composition and/or a beneficial metabolic outcome. She is particularly interested in utilizing diet (i.e. whole foods [including dairy products], nutrients, supplements) with different modes of exercise (i.e. aerobic, resistance, plyometric) to facilitate changes in body weight, body composition, strength and bone turnover in different populations across the lifespan.